Montefiore Hospital Photographs



What's online?

The Montefiore Hospital Photographs consists of images dating from c.1890 to 1988. The images document the history of the hospital from its beginnings to 1988, two years before it was sold to the University of Pittsburgh. Included in this collection are images depicting the hospital buildings, starting with the mansion on Centre Avenue in Pittsburgh's Hill District that was renovated as a hospital and dedicated in 1908, to the new hospital in Oakland that opened in 1929, as well as images of the various renovations and additions that took place through the next sixty years. Aerial photographs document the expansion of Montefiore and the growth of the University of Pittsburgh medical center which surrounded it.

Images in the online collection include those of physicians, nurses, interns, and student nurses in both formal groups and work settings. The members of the hospital board of trustees are seen, primarily at events related to new buildings and facilities. Annie Jacobs Davis, known as "the mother of Montefiore Hospital," is shown with her husband Barnett Davis, with other women at a fund-raising event for the hospital, and at a groundbreaking for the new hospital building in Oakland. Images depict the gift shop and lunch counter run by the Ladies' Hospital Aid Society, as well as its members involved in organizational activities. Evidence of Montefiore's identity as a Jewish hospital can be seen in images of a Passover Seder and of the mashgiah (supervisor of the kosher kitchen). Read more...

(1 - 20 of 161)

Pages

Pages